How to select a competent pest control service?
When selecting a pest control service, cost should not be the only factor determined by the company chosen. It is important to ensure that the selected pest control company is competent and complies with current regulations. If insecticides are misused, the risk of damage is high. Before hiring a pest control company, consider the following:
Take your time
When most people discover a pest problem, they want it removed immediately. However, most problems can wait a few days, so you have time to select Vital Building and Pest Inspections.
Questions to ask a prospective pest control company
Before selecting a pest control service, you can ask questions to clear up any doubts you have. Some may be:
· How many years have you been in business at your current address?
You can check the history online, as well as the opinions received by the company that you consider for the realization of pest control.
· Would you provide me with a list of references?
· Will the people who will perform the services be applicators with the necessary certifications that enable them as authorized technicians?
Each company must have at least one technical person at least accredited with the level 3 professional certificate. Applicators under their supervision must have the level 2 professional certificate.
· Would you provide me with a copy of your registration in the (Biocides – Ministry of Health, Consumption, and Social Welfare), copies of the safety data sheets of all the products used and information on the doses to be applied?
Reliable entrepreneurs must show their credentials and be able to provide copies of labels, safety data sheets and technical data sheets that contain all the relevant information.
Be careful with companies or individuals…
· They wish to perform pest control as part of a package, such as general home repair or tree pruning, or that will give you a special price if the treatment is done immediately.
· They do not have a telephone number listed or in operation.
· They sell door to door services. Check your ID and credentials!
· Arrive unexpectedly and show the insects found in your neighbor’s house as evidence of a neighborhood problem.
· Termite control may require several hundred gallons of diluted insecticide.
· All insecticide products must be registered. Registered pesticide labels contain a list of active ingredients.
· Try to pressure you to immediately sign a contract suggesting that your house is structurally defective and may collapse if left untreated.
· Declare having excess material left over from a previous job and offer a reduced price for immediate treatment.
More points to consider
· If the person responsible for the service asks you to do certain things before, during or after the application of the treatment, assist and follow the instructions requested. For example:
· If the technician asks you to remove personal items from the floor, empty the kitchen drawers and remove the pets. Make sure you have done this before they arrive.
· Do not allow children or pets to enter the treated areas until the indicated safety period has been exceeded.
· If the service technician suggests non-chemical methods of pest control in addition to the chemicals, be sure to follow the instructions. Good cooperation will help eliminate pests and reduce the use of biocides.
· Insecticides are intrinsically harmful and can cause health problems and damage to the environment if used inconsistently with the instructions on the label. Certain products present greater risks than others.